The Iveagh Gardens
The Iveagh Gardens is a public park located just off Harcourt Street and is only a five minute stroll from the Stephen’s Green Shopping Centre. Benjamin Guinness laid out the gardens in 1863 after the construction of Iveagh House on St. Stephen’s Green. Previously, the Earl of Clonmel had laid out the land as a private leisure garden. During the early 19th century, the gardens were opened to the public and, in 1908, the first Earl of Iveagh gave the gardens to the newly chartered University College Dublin. The Iveagh Gardens is a great escape from the hustle and bustle of city life and is well worth a visit.